Village Organizer – Plum Street Village Olympia
Several positions available with evenings, overnight and weekend hours
DATE POSTED: December 11 , 2018
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled.
REPORTS TO: Special Projects Manager
PAY RANGE: $17.00 – $22.00 per hour, DOE
HOURS: Full-time, 40 hours per week, and part-time, varied hours.
BENEFITS: Medical, dental, vision, life/disability, retirement, vacation & sick leave. Medical, dental and vision available at a premium share for part-time positions.
POSITION TYPE: Non-exempt position
The Low Income Housing Institute (LIHI) develops and manages housing for people who are low-income and/or homeless, provides technical assistance to communities and other non-profits, and advocates for housing for all. LIHI provides over 2,000 affordable apartments in the Puget Sound region. LIHI sponsors eight tiny house villages that provide a crisis response to homelessness. We provide supportive services to move people into long-term housing as well as access to healthcare, employment and other services.
This position monitors activities at the village and maintains a safe environment for all the residents. This position also provides emergency coverage as needed and works closely with other Organizers, the on-site Case Manager and the Special Projects Manager.
- Foster a safe, clean and peaceful environment in the tiny house village.
- Assist clients/participants in completing move-in and move-out paperwork. Monitor individuals entering and exiting the village. Maintain logs and complete incident reports.
- Provide outreach and info to neighborhood residents. Handle donations.
- Provide an on-site presence in the village, provide assistance to the residents, enforce rules and guest policy.
- Monitor activities, safety, security and cleanliness in the village. Serve on team providing 24/7 staffing. Monitoring the people as they enter and exit the site. The purpose is to assist with deterring theft, violence, vandalism, illegal activities or infractions of rules and code of conduct.
- Perform light-maintenance and janitorial of common areas, entry, kitchen, community space, bathrooms, grounds and the perimeter of the village.
- Assist in setting up resident meetings and assign daily and weekly duties to be performed by residents.
- Prepare vacant units including light maintenance, cleaning, and coordinating with vendors in a timely manner.
- Maintain inventory of basic supplies and order supplies.
- Respond to residents’ concerns and questions.
- Provide info and feedback to Case Manager and Special Project Manager on on-going operations and the welfare of residents.
- Respond to emergencies, being on-call with cell phone and performing grounds checks. Call 911 in case of emergencies such as fire or injuries. Alert LIHI staff and management of incidents, safety concerns and other related issues.
- Be able to lift at least 25 pounds.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Proven ability to work with minimal supervision.
- One year maintenance, customer service and/or management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work with people with sensitivity to cultural, race, gender, mental health and class issues, and a demonstrated commitment to low-income housing and ending homelessness.
- Experience working with low-income people.
- Excellent problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Must pass criminal background checks and drug screening test.
This is a unionized position, represented by Local 8 of the Office of Professional Employees International Union (OPEIU).
If interested in this position please send in a cover letter and resume. Applications are available on the LIHI website at www.lihi.org, may be obtained in person at the office, or will be mailed to you by phone request at (206) 443-9935. All application materials should be mailed, faxed, or dropped off in person to:
The Low Income Housing Institute
Attn: Human Resources
2407 1st Avenue, Suite 200
Seattle, WA 98121
Fax: (206) 443-9851
Or e-mailed to: email@example.com
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE
The Low Income Housing Institute is an equal opportunity employer. LIHI participates in E-Verify. Qualified women and minorities are encouraged to apply.