(Regional) Area Manager
TBD. Primarily downtown Seattle.
POSTING DATE: October 17, 2017
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
HOURS: Fulltime (40 hours/week) includes some evenings and weekends.
PAY RANGE: DOE
BENEFITS Medical, vision, dental, life/disability, vacation, sick leave.
POSITION TYPE: Management Exempt
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled.
As part of its mission, the Low Income Housing Institute (LIHI) owns and operates permanent and transitional housing for low income and/or homeless men, women, and families throughout the Puget Sound region. This position will supervise affordable housing projects primarily located in the downtown Seattle area.
LIHI’s housing is maintained as affordable housing through a variety of public and private funding including Low Income Housing Tax Credits, HUD Section 8 subsidies, Washington State and City of Seattle housing programs. These multiple financing sources combined with bank and other private financing create complicated compliance requirements.
The person in this position will primarily work in the field reviewing multiple properties operations, assisting staff with programs implementation, financing compliance, property management software use, property budget management and tenant problem solving. The position includes supervision of site staff, making staffing and policy decisions, and coordinating housing management procedures, programs and activities aimed at developing positive living communities that also have consistent policies and procedures and are in full compliance with funding regulations.
Staff support, training and supervision:
- Visit and work on site at all properties supervised at least once per week.
- Supervise, train and support Program Coordinators and/or Resident Managers to ensure they have the tools and methodology to be successful in their work.
- Identify training needs for housing management staff and help implement training.
- Support Housing Management staff in effectively maintaining established policies and programs at LIHI properties.
- On a daily basis assist site staff with troubleshooting tenant issues, providing guidance and support. Provide on site coverage of work for staff on leave.
- Complete staff evaluations that address performance concerns and recognize work well done, setting goals with clear performance expectations.
Program Management and Compliance Implementation:
- Develop, implement and expand housing management policy and procedures that promote consistency, compliance with Fair Housing regulations, and meeting funding compliance requirements.
- Apply a thorough understanding of HUD Section 8, tax credits and low income housing subsidy requirements.
- Involve resident services staff in planning and decision making at properties served by these staff or that have transitional housing programs.
- Review sites paperwork and tenant files for proper procedure and documentation.
- Develop methods for evaluating effectiveness of policies, procedures and programs including input from Housing Management staff.
- Supervise and train housing management and maintenance staff in compliance procedures relating to the physical buildings, tenant qualifications, and record-keeping.
- Provide regular reports to LIHI Management staff regarding programmatic issues. Provide feedback on improvements needed. Conduct staff meetings and planning sessions.
- Develop management plans for new projects.
- Attend community meetings to maintain good communication with properties neighbors.
- Apply a working knowledge of property management software, reviewing site staff work and review summary reports to assist staff with checking the accuracy of their work, making corrections as needed.
- Participate in developing annual budgets for properties and getting input from site staff.
- Review monthly financial statements for each property with each Program Coordinator supervised, identifying expenditure and revenue concerns and taking appropriate follow-up actions.
- Approve expenditure requests according to LIHI policies and property management and partnership agreements.
Property Facilities Management:
- Conduct property physical conditions reviews with site staff to ensure that LIHI buildings are well maintained. Provide feedback to Maintenance Manager.
- Compile information for annual capital budgets and replacement reserves use.
- Monitor implementation of preventative maintenance work at properties of responsibility.
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned.
- Five years property operations experience with excellent performance and a strong working knowledge of landlord-tenant and Fair Housing laws.
- Commitment to resident self-management and social change through the empowerment of low-income people, and working with social services to assist tenants.
- Excellent supervisory skills with a minimum two years supervisory experience of more than three property operations employee, including providing training and developing the skills of others.
- Experience developing, implementing and monitoring policies and procedures, and project troubleshooting.
- Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills. Demonstrated experience that shows a high degree of interpersonal skills working with staff, housing residents and the public.
- Experience working in and coordinating groups.
- Good mathematical aptitude and ability to understand financial statements.
- Proficient in word processing and Excel spreadsheet programs. Previous experience with record keeping and reports preparation.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision while performing multiple tasks.
- Must pass criminal background check and drug screen.
If interested in this position, please send resume and a cover letter addressing your qualifications to:
The Low Income Housing Institute
Attn: Human Resources
2407 1st Avenue
Seattle, WA 98121
Fax: (206) 443-9851
For more information review our website at www.LIHI.org.
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE
The Low Income Housing Institute (LIHI) is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and minorities are encouraged to apply. LIHI participates in the E-Verify Program.