Director of Human Resources
DATE POSTED: February 22, 2019
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
HOURS: Full time, 40 hours per week
PAY RANGE: $85,000 – $125,000 per year (fulltime annual)
BENEFITS: Medical, dental, vision, life/disability, retirement, vacation & sick leave
POSITION TYPE: Exempt, management position
The Low Income Housing Institute (LIHI) is a non-profit housing management and development organization , LIHI manages about 2,200 affordable and low income apartments in the Puget Sound region. LIHI has about 200 employees and is growing. We open one to two new buildings a year totaling about 120 units.
The Director of Human Resources is responsible for managing all HR activities for the organization. The HR Director will partner with the executive team. Responsibilities also include human resource compliance management and benefits administration. This position will supervise two staff.
Employee Recruitment and Organizational Development
- Develop and implement recruitment and retention policies, procedures and practices.
- Onboard new employees. Expand training options for staff that create and maintain a skilled, committed and diverse workforce.
- Participate in strategic applicant interviews and provide feedback/consult to hiring managers.
Employee and Labor Relations
- Work directly with OPEIU Local 8 regarding interpretation of the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). Maintain a strong and constructive working relationship with union representatives.
- Manage the process for disciplinary actions, employment terminations and grievances in accordance with the CBA and labor laws. Provide coaching to managers.
- Train managers with skills for new supervisors including employment law, the Collective Bargaining Agreement and the LIHI Employee Handbook,
- Work with the Executive Director and the CFO – research and negotiate the 3-year Union Bargaining Agreement, as part of a Bargaining Committee.
- Co-ordinate employee exit interviews.
- Maintain effective relationships with benefits broker and vendors.
- Work with broker to review vendor submissions and coverage comparisons, and approve employee benefits package annually.
- Conduct annual Employee Benefits Open Enrollment. Reconcile and code benefits invoices monthly. Work with vendors and ADP to correct discrepancies.
- Research and provide feedback regarding employee inquiries.
Employment Law Compliance
- Direct the management of all employee contracts, compensation/salary administrative functions, personnel and leave records, and employee performance evaluations.
- Select, install and utilize human resource software
- Prepare employee paperwork (PAF) for transfers, FTE updates, promotions, benefits and terminations.
- Input employment, benefits and Affordable Care Act (ACA) data in HRIS/ADP.
- Manage disability accommodation and leave processes for employees including those related to the Family Medical Leave, Paid Family Medical Leave, and the Americans with Disabilities Acts.
- Oversee the Safety and Health Committees.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- A bachelor’s degree in human resources management or a related field.
- A minimum of five years human resources management and supervision.
- Experience working with Unions.
- Strong knowledge of HR labor laws, labor relations and compliance.
- Demonstrated experience implementing recruitment and hiring processes.
- Experience using an HRIS system – data input and generation of reports.
- Strong written communication skills to address HR concerns and complaints
- Known to regularly exhibit leadership behavior – honest, compassionate, strategic, moral courage, ethical, results-driven and decisive.
- Personal commitment to racial and social justice, with experience implementing HR strategies designed to reduce implicit bias and improve workforce equity.
If interested in this position please send in a cover letter and resume. Complete job description may be reviewed on the LIHI website at www.lihi.org. Application materials should be emailed, mailed, faxed, or dropped off in person to:
The Low Income Housing Institute
2407 1st Avenue, Seattle, WA 98121
Fax: (206) 443-9851
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE
Closing date: Open until filled.
The Low Income Housing Institute is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and minorities are encouraged to apply. LIHI participates in the E-verify program.